NATIONAL PORTUGUESE EXAMINATION
The National Portuguese Examination (NPE) is a communicative proficiency-based test that engages the students in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. It is intended for high school students of Portuguese.
The NPE is intended as a motivational, extra-curricular activity and contest for students of members of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and its chapters. The NPE is not designed for any other purpose and should not be used for assessment, placement, or proficiency testing.
- In Spring 2015, the National Portuguese Examinations (Levels 1-3) will once again be administered online.
- The registration link is available at www.aatsp.org In order to register, teachers must log into AATSP website. Once logged in, select National Portuguese Exam from the Program and Activities menu.
- The deadline to register your students is January 31, 2015
March 1 – April 10, 2015 Test window for 2015 NPE contest.
For more information:
Debora Ferreira, Director, National Portuguese Exam
Test sponsors must be members in good standing of the national AATSP (chapter membership is automatic upon joining the National organization). Sponsors assume the following responsibilities:
- Teachers may only register students who are currently enrolled in their classes. To ensure that students are enrolled in the registering teacher's class, both the NSE Office and chapter coordinators reserve the right to request that each participating teacher submit an official class list signed by an administrator.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor to certify the eligibility of students. Students who are heritage speakers of Portuguese are allowed to participate IF they identify themselves by selecting the "Bilingual" category. The students who are heritage speakers of Spanish should also identify themselves by selecting the "Outside Experience category".
SETTING THE DATE
TEACHERS who wish to participate in the NPE may do so through a chapter coordinator or by contacting the National NPE office directly.
The online NPE is administered in 2 parts (achievement and proficiency) with 40 minutes allowed for each section.
The teachers will be able to print certificates of all students who qualify on the national level for first, second or third place in each category. Each student receives a Certificate of Participation.
Local chapters may choose to provide additional prizes for the participants.
National Portuguese Exam Director