The 2013 National Portuguese Examination window closed on March 31, 2013.
Click here to view the 2013 NPE Winners
NATIONAL PORTUGUESE EXAMINATION
The National Portuguese Examination (NPE) is a communicative proficiency-based test that engages the students in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. It is intended for high school students of Portuguese.
The NPE is intended as a motivational, extra-curricular activity and contest for students of members of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and its chapters. The NPE is not designed for any other purpose and should not be used for assessment, placement, or proficiency testing.
· In Spring 2014, we will administer the National Portuguese Examinations (Levels 1-3) online.
· Level 4 of the NPE will remain a paper and pencil exam and will not be offered online at this time.
· The registration link is open and ready for you to begin registration. You can get to it through the http://www.aatsp.org/ website. You have to log into the AATSP website with your username and password and then scroll down the left hand side to where it says National Portuguese Examination.
· The deadline to register your students is February 25, 2014.
March 10, 2014
All orders for the NPE materials should be received by the NPE Director.
March 20 – April 10, 2014 Test window for 2014 NPE contest.
April 30, 2014
All Level 4 exam papers and records must be in the hands of the National Director:
Dr. Ismênia Sales de Souza, Director, National Portuguese Exam
Office # 719-333-1787 and cell # 334-524-0780
Test sponsors must be members in good standing of the national AATSP (chapter membership is automatic upon joining the National organization). Sponsors assume the following responsibilities:
- Provide appropriate examination proctors.
- Assist in monitoring exams of other members’ students, if requested to do so by the Chapter NPE Coordinator.
- Provide copies of official class lists of students taking the test and collect student fees, which are to be submitted to the NPE Director by the deadline established annually. Chapters may wish to appoint a local coordinator who will work directly with the NPE director.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor to certify the eligibility of students. Students who are native speakers of Portuguese are allowed to participate IF they identify themselves. The students who are native speakers of Spanish should also identify themselves.
Setting the Date
CHAPTER COORDINATORS (where appointed by chapters) will set the exact date within the testing window for the exams in their chapter and notify the National NPE office of this date to permit sufficient time for test scheduling.
LOCAL CHAPTERS (within a city) must give the exam on the same day.
TEACHERS who wish to participate in the NPE may do so through a chapter coordinator or by contacting the National NPE office directly.
Equipment Needed (Level 4 only)
In 2014 students may record the speaking portion of their exams on memory stick, or on computers using Audacity and saving the files as MP3 files. Pin drives will be returned providing a self-addressed, pre-stamped, padded envelope is included.
- A proctor must be present in the testing room while students complete the test.
- Proctors serve two functions: (1) maintain test security and (2) supervise the time allotments for the various sections of the test.
- School/district administrators or counselors are the preferred proctors for the NPE.
- If a testing site cannot use an administrator or counselor, language teachers may be used provided they do not proctor any of their own students.
The NPE will take a maximum of 60 minutes to administer: 10 minutes for directions and completion of individual information; 10 minutes for each of the four parts and 10 minutes for general review.
RETURN OF COMPLETED EXAMS
- Each testing site must return all completed text booklets and audio recordings to the NPE Director for scoring.
- All exam booklets and audio recordings must be in the hands of the NPE Director by April 25, 2014.
- Please make certain to ask for a return receipt from the post office in case questions arise about the time or delivery of tests.
The teachers will be able to print certificates of all students who qualify on the national level for first, second or third place in each category. Each student receives a Certificate of Participation.
Local chapters may choose to provide additional prizes for the participants.
How to Order Examinations for Level 4 only
Each teacher wishing to participate must:
1. Submit a check for the entire amount (in US dollars) payable to AATSP-NPE
2. Complete and submit the Test Order Form (PDF)
3. Submit a List of Participating Students to the NPE Exam Director (information listed below)
4. Collect the testing fee from students ($5.00 / test, you may want to collect this fee prior to ordering tests)
The NPE Director will send test instructions to the respective chapter coordinator or to the school as indicated on the form.
National Portuguese Exam Director
Dr. Ismênia Sales de Souza