The Case for World Language Education
In order to create a new program, promote an existing program, or improve a program, or promote world language learning in general, you must be informed! Here we have created a space for a collection of scholarly research, news stories, and language organizations relevant to world language education that you can utilize for support.
Academic articles about language advocacy:
- "Americans Assert Importance of International Education." NAFSA: Association of International Educators. 13 January 2011. http://www.nafsa.org
- Policy Brief: Advancing Public Policies that Support International Education and Exchange. Survey Results Indicate Americans view foreign languages and global knowledge as important to future careers.
- Kristof, Nicholas D. "Opinion: Learning Spanish is a practical life skill." The New York Times, 29 Dec 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/opinion/30kristof.html?src=twrhp
- A movement to have children in the U.S. learn Chinese is overlooking the more pressing need for them to learn Spanish, writes New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof. While the "cool factor" of Chinese is pushing schools to add it to their curriculum, Spanish should not be forgotten as an integral part of life in the U.S. "Spanish is a practical add-on to your daily life, meshing with whatever career you choose," writes Kristof, who also speaks Chinese.
- Marmolejo, Francisco. "Deficiency in Foreign Language Competency: What is Wrong with the U.S. Educational System?" The Chronicle of Higher Education, 9 Nov 2010. http://chronicle.com/blogs/worldwise/deficiency-in-foreign-language-competency-what-is-wrong-with-the-u-s-educational-system/27558
- If U.S. colleges and universities are serious about globalization, they need to do more to help their students learn a second language, says Francisco Marmolejo.
- Feal, Rosemary G. "The World Beyond Reach." The Chronicle of Higher Education, 7 Nov 2010. http://chronicle.com/article/The-World-Beyond-Reach-Why/125267/
- "The World Within Reach" is the slogan of the State University of New York at Albany, but its plan to eliminate language programs belies that.
- "The Benefits of Foreign Language Study." Regarding World Language Education. NEA Research, December 2007. http://www.umaine.edu/Flame/BenefitsofSecondLanguage.pdf
- The University of Maine has compiled a collection of research findings and their citations in order to illustrate and defend the benefits of learning a world language
- Frantz, Alan. "Seventeen Values of Foreign Language Study." ADFL Bulletin 28: 1, 44-49. Association of Departments of Foreign Languages, 1996. http://web2.adfl.org/adfl/bulletin/v28n1/281044.htm
- Frantz surveyed college level world language instructors and asked them to rank the importance of seventeen commonly mentioned values of learning world languages, as well as to add any others they believed were missing, and the time they believed would be necessary to accomplish those values.
- Marcos, Kathleen M. and Peyton, Joy Kreeft. "Promoting a Language Proficient Society: What You Can Do." CAL Digest. ERIC Clearinghouse on Languages and Linguistics, April 2000. http://www.cal.org/resources/digest/0001promoting.html
- CAL provides ideas as well as further articles for parents, teachers, administrators, policymakers, and the community in order to promote world language study.
- "A Rationale For Foreign Language Education." The National Council of State Supervisors
of Foreign Languages, 2010. http://www.ncssfl.org/papers/index.php?rationale
- The NCSSFL provides a position statement on the importance of world language education and its subsequent benefits.
- Rhodes, Nancy C. and Pufahl, Ingrid. "Foreign Language Teaching in US Schools: Results of a National Survey." Center for Applied Linguistics. Foreign Language Teaching in US Schools, November 2009. http://www.cal.org/projects/Exec%20Summary_111009.pdf
- The online Executive Summary provided here explains the results of CAL's national survey which documented the numbers and types of world language programs, which languages were being taught, curriculum types, and classroom scheduled time for world language instruction.
News articles about world languages and world language education:
- Abruscato, Lurdes. "The foreign language dilemma: Sí or oui?" The Washington Post 9 June 2011. Web. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/the-foreign-language-dilemma-si-or-oui/2011/06/08/AGIBecMH_blog.html
- Anderson, Nick. "Obama: Revise No Child Left Behind Law." The Washington Post 14 March 2010. Web. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/13/AR2010031301137.html
- Balderrama, Anthony. "Eight industries needing bilingual workers." CNN 10 Sept 2008. Web. http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/09/10/cb.industries.bilingual/index.html
- Baig, Edward C. "Bringing up Baby- Bilingually." BusinessWeek 25 Aug 1997. Web. http://www.businessweek.com/1997/34/b3541220.htm
- Berger, Joseph. "Building a Nation of Polyglots, Starting With the Very Young." The New York Times 14 Nov. 2007: 1-2. Web. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/education/14education.html?_r=2&ex=1195707600&en=841e2350028627d8&ei=5070&emc=eta1
- Budig, Gene A. "Foreign language study vital to U.S. Students." LJ World 8 May 2010. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may/08/foreign-language-study-vital-us-students/
- Chetwynd, Catherine. "Why a second language is crucial in business." Executive Magazine 10 Jul 2010. Web. http://www.execdigital.com/business/strategy/why-second-language-crucial-business
- Dreifus, Claudia. "The Bilingual Advantage" New York Times 30 May 2011. Web. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/science/31conversation.html?_r=2
- Duncan, Arne. "US Secretary of Education on Global Learning, Languages." Asia Society 26 May 2010. http://asiasociety.org/education-learning/policy-initiatives/national-initiatives/us-secretary-education-global-learning-la
- Gangat, Sharmeen. "Learning another language." Gotham Gazette April 2009. Web. http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/education/20090410/6/2879
- Geraghty, Jim. "Avoiding an Unneeded Flap over FLAP." National Review Online 14 June 2011. Web. http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/269355/avoiding-unneeded-flap-over-flap-jim-geraghty
- Landers, Jim. "In business, English necessary but not always sufficient." Dallas News 18 Dec 2008. Web. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/jlanders/stories/DN-landers_16bus.ART.State.Edition1.4a5514f.html
- Livaccari, Chris. "Your Brain on Languages." Asia Society October 2010. Web. http://asiasociety.org/education-learning/world-languages/-american-schools/your-brain-languages
- Met, Myriam. "Improving Student's Capacity in Foreign Languages." Asia Society 13 Sept 2008. Web. http://asiasociety.org/education-learning/world-languages/in-american-schools/improving-students%e2%80%99-capacity-foreign-language
- "Sen. Barack Obama on learning foreign languages." Youtube 8 Jul 2008. Web. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdxP85ouT9c
Advocacy pages for educational, cultural, and language organizations: