K-8 Classroom Setup Ideas
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

8/14/2015 at 6:38:36 PM GMT
K-8 Classroom Setup Ideas

I teach K-8 Spanish at a private school and am excited to be getting my own classroom this year instead of traveling.  The problem is, how do I set up a classroom that will be accessible for such a wide range of ages?  Does anyone have any ideas that have worked well for them?  Gracias.  (I am currently planning to do groupings of 4 desks with a supply caddy in the middle that can have resources for a variety of ages with maybe room for a carpet somewhere for the younger kids.)

8/18/2015 at 12:08:10 AM GMT
Hi, Ms. Giniewski,
I have taught 1st-4th grade for 14 years in my own classroom, and I actually haven't changed the layout much over the years. I've had between 20-24 students any given year, and I arranged the desks in as much of a horse-shoe shape as possible, For example, the back row was 10 desks with a space between 5 and 5; the next "row" was 4 and 4, then 3 and 3, then 2 and 2. Something like that, and you end up with a half-moon of plenty of floor space for circle time, acting, or just for me to move quickly to any student. I've been told I'm a neat freak, and I like only a few, but meaningful posters. For example I love Picasso's Don Quijote; colored circles are on the wall under the whiteboard, along with the numbers, and a large map of the world occupies one wall. A large bulletin board holds the 'Bienvenidos' poster, with a few maracas, and a sombrero. The only other wall hangings are the question posters, as I am a big proponent of TPRS and circle questioning. I can't stand clutter and I need plenty of white space, so I try not to cover too much of the walls. I have bookshelves for SSR. That is what's worked for me!
Crystal

4/21/2017 at 4:56:52 PM GMT
Thank you for the ideas! I am also teaching at a private K-8 school beginning in the fall. In addition to classroom set up ideas, do you have a recommendation on a curriculum. I have been given the responsibility of choosing the curriculum for grades 1-5. We currently have a curriculum in place for our middle school. Any ideas for elementary curriculum? Thank you.

5/1/2017 at 10:47:47 PM GMT
Hello,

I am currently a pre service teacher and am very open to ideas for first year teaching. Classroom ambiance and management are huge parts to success.

5/15/2017 at 7:43:03 PM GMT
Hi there, I definitely agree that ambiance can really make a classroom come to life. The rule I stick by is that students are here for 8 hours a day, so they might as well be comfortable. I have a big rug under my desk as well as all kinds of papel picado hanging from the ceiling. I wanted my classroom to exude color, brightness, and warmth. Stick with major cultural objects and they you won't have to wory about age appropriateness. Also incluide all kinds of books in Spanish on your bookshelf ranging from Ve Perro Ve to Los Juegos del Hambre.