International Conference on Bilingualism: Language and Heritage

12/31/2017
Deadline: AATSP Conference Attendee Travel Stipends

Hispanic Heritage
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/15/2014 at 2:13:07 PM GMT
Hispanic Heritage

Share your ideas to encourage the exploration of different heritages and your celebrations for Hispanic Heritage Month and Columbus Day!

9/15/2014 at 2:14:01 PM GMT
To celebrate Hispanic Heritage and the Día de Colón, I teach a unit on general heritage. I point out Hispanic heritage as part of the United States heritage, and in my school, first I teach the children to go home and ask about their own beginnings. When they come back and tell me where their family names come from, we talk a little about world history and the conquest of the Americas. I make a point to teach them a little about the conquistadores, the influence of the Spanish nation on two continents, then a little bit of the history of westward expansion by the U.S. This is powerful in helping the students to learn that we all are descendants from other cultures, and that Spanish is a part of who we all are as a nation, people didn't so much jump over borders, as the borders moved over them, etc. We study some of the well-known Latino authors, artists, and others who have influenced American culture. We read Me Llamo María Isabel and Esperanza Rising during the year, as this is a topic that I weave throughout my curriculum.

Sign In

Latest News