Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In
Community Search
Calendar

11/25/2017
Call for Proposals: 2019 Special Issue of Language Learning

11/27/2017
CFP: Armed Conflict and its Afterlives: The Uses of War in Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula

Christmas and Los Reyes Magos
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/19/2014 at 11:45:23 PM GMT
Christmas and Los Reyes Magos
For the holidays, the lessons center on cultural connections. At this time of year, religion can be a sensitive topic.  Point out that just because we learn about the practices of others does not mean that we have to follow their practices, but it is important to be aware of what they are doing and why.  Although not everyone celebrates Christmas, it is an important holiday for many people throughout the world.  For some, Santa brings the presents, for others, the Three Kings.  We learn about las posadas, and read Tomie de Paola's, The Night of las Posadas.  We talk about the poinsettia, and read The Legend of the Poinsettia.  We learn a couple of holiday songs in Spanish for our holiday celebration, for example, Noche de Paz, and even Feliz Navidad. We also read Too Many Tamales.  Then we practice the vocabulary that surrounds the holidays with Lotería. 

Last edited Saturday, July 19, 2014
7/19/2014 at 11:47:00 PM GMT
Día de los Reyes Magos

In many Latin American countries and in Spain, January 6 is "El Día de los Reyes Magos," or Day of the Three Kings.  They are also called the Three Wise Men, those who visited Jesus at his birth. You might know that children receive presents on this day, something similar to a visit by "Santa Claus". Learn more about their story!

11/13/2016 at 5:14:08 PM GMT
Hello C. Vicente,
I'm glad you mentioned "Los Reyes Magos." I am from Venezuela, and this day is as important as Christmas in many regions. In my particular family, we did not celebrate it, just acknowledge it as another important holiday. In Venezuela, we also do "patinatas" where people gather in public squares "plazas" to roller skate while listening to our Christmas carols "villancicos," and to eat churros with hot cocoa.

http://orinocopadrerio.blogspot.com/2011/12/tradiciones-las-patinatas-y-las-misas_20.html

12/12/2016 at 3:07:38 AM GMT

I agree that religion can be a sensitive topic, but I also believe that it is important for students to learn about it and how it has had influence on culture. Though students, or anyone for that matter, might not agree with a certain religion, learning about it will still help students gain a better understanding of the world and the culture and cultural differences throughout it. 

I like the video, it would be a good resource to use in class when teaching about Los Reyes Magos. 

5/1/2017 at 11:24:17 PM GMT
Cultural diversity is not always synonymous with simplicity. Christmas is a well known holiday around the world but it is not the only winter holiday. We will have students of various backgrounds in our classrooms and taking the time to get to know them and their cultures will make learning more efficient and beneficial for everyone. The story of the three kings is a popular Christmas story so having it in Spanish with friendly artwork would be helpful in my future classroom.

Sign In

Latest News