There are two sources of funding for the AATSP Summer Study- Abroad Scholarship Programs. They consist of:
- Funds for tuition and other expenses for study-abroad programs in Argentina, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, or Spain. These funds vary by program and are explained in detail under the name of each individual study-abroad program.
- AATSP travel stipend of $1000 for study-abroad programs. The travel stipend is designed to help offset travel to the study program. It will probably not cover all travel expenses.
Disbursement of funds
- Recipients receive tuition and other waivers directly from the study program (see program descriptions for specifics)
- Upon return from the scholarship experience, recipients must submit the following to the AATSP National Office in order to receive reimbursement for the $1000 travel stipend:
a. A brief written summary of the scholarship experience, detailing the program and how the recipient will utilize what was taught in the classes.
b. Travel Reimbursement Request Form along with all appropriate receipts for personal, travel-related expenses (transportation, lodging, and meals).
c. Documentation of course completion such as a certificate of completion or transcript.
Eligibility for AATSP Scholarships
Applicants must demonstrate the following:
- AATSP member for three consecutive years
- For Portuguese programs: Full-time Portuguese teacher (K-16) for three years
For Spanish programs: Full-time Spanish teacher (K-16) for three years
- Contract for teaching Spanish or Portuguese for academic year following scholarship experience
- Members are eligible for scholarships one time only
- AATSP members are eligible to receive only one of the following: a summer scholarship OR a Conference Attendee Travel Stipend OR a Junior- Senior Faculty Mentor Travel Stipend OR the Travel Stipend for Research Abroad
- Complete the application form stating the program to which you are applying.
- Submit the following application materials via email with attachments:
a. Completed application form
b. Current CV or resume
c. One letter of recommendation from a professional colleague or administrator
- Scholarship winners will be acknowledged at the Awards Banquet during the AATSP Conference to be held in Chicago, Illinois on Saturday, July 8, 2017. We understand that you may not be able to attend the Awards Banquet because it may conflict with your travel and study.
- Study Abroad Programs and travel must be completed by August 31, 2017.
- In order to receive the $1000 travel reimbursement, recipients must submit receipts and other documentation outlined above under Disbursement of Funds to the AATSP Director of Financial Services by September 15, 2017.
Click here to download the 2017 Summer Scholarship Application Form in Word Format. Fill in, save, and then send as an attachment in an email.
Deadline: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Send completed form and materials via e-mail to
EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
SUBJECT LINE: AATSP Scholarship Application