HOW TO START A NEW SHH CHAPTER
1. Become a current member of AATSP.
2. Read the SHH Bylaws and SHH Policy Updates to ensure your plans for the chapter fall within the national guidelines.
3. Complete a Charter Application.
a. Select your first choice for the name of your chapter. (Use the SHH Directory to see names already in use within your state.) Each name must be unique within the state.
b. Pay the one-time $35 charter fee. You may pay by credit card or select the "Check/Money Order” option to create an invoice to mail with a check.
4. Create chapter bylaws; determine standards for membership. (See sample)
5. Begin organizing your new members:
a. Allow students to apply for membership or invite students who qualify
b. Select and invite members (collect membership dues)
c. Elect officers
6. Register new members online and submit $5 membership fee per initiate.
7. Hold your first induction ceremony. Scripts are available in English and Spanish (Portuguese coming soon!).
SUGGESTIONS FOR SELECTING STUDENTS
1. Eligible students are any high school student who has maintained an honor average in the study of Spanish for a minimum of three semesters and is in the 10th grade or higher. Remember that freshmen cannot be inducted.
2. Ask for nominations from other Spanish teachers or have students complete an application process. An application can consist of transcripts, a personal statement, other academic recommendations, and community recommendations.
3. The definition of "honor grade” is left to the discretion of the sponsor but it should be taken into account that the SHH is an honor society for those students of high academic achievement. You can accept as many that meet the minimum requirements as you like, or limit it to a specific number of students. Your bylaws should reflect any decision you make.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE SHH HOMEPAGE
FOLLOW THE SHH ON SOCIAL MEDIA!