The Xperitas Language Matters Award will be given to a high school teacher who has achieved outstanding success in getting his/her students to speak Spanish through exemplary motivation and creative methods; in addition, the winner shall be a teacher who has provided authentic immersion experiences outside the classroom for students to apply their speaking skills. A $500 honorarium and a framed certificate accompany this award.
To be considered, the nominee must meet the following requirements:
1. Member in good standing of the AATSP for at least three years.
2. Three or more years of experience teaching Spanish in a high school (grades 9-12).
3. Demonstrated success in getting his/her students to speak Spanish through exemplary motivation and creative methods.
4. Demonstrated use of authentic immersion experiences outside the classroom for students to apply their speaking skills.
5. No prior association or experience with Xperitas is required of the nominee.
1. Nominations may be submitted by any AATSP member in good standing, including self-nominations.
2. The letter of nomination or recommendation should include the following information.
a. In what capacity the nominator has known the person nominated.
b. How the excellence of the nominee has been assessed.
c. The rationale for proposing the candidate as person deserving this award.
3. The candidate must provide the following materials:
a. Completed Awards Application Form (DOC)
b. A curriculum vitae (resume) which includes complete contact information.
c. At least two, but nor more than five letters of recommendation which may include letters from administrators, colleagues, or other significant references. These letters should be submitted directly to AATSP by email to AATSPoffice@aatsp.org by the writer, not by the nominee. Indicate the name of the nominee and the award in the subject line.
d. Evidence of professional excellence in getting his/her students to speak Spanish through exemplary motivation and creative methods.
e. Evidence of the use of authentic immersion experiences outside the classroom during which students apply their speaking skills.
4. All nomination materials must be submitted in electronic format and sent via e-mail.
The award will be presented at the Awards Banquet to be held on Sunday, July 10, 2016 during the AATSP Conference in Miami, Florida. The winner is expected to be in attendance at the banquet to accept the award.
E-mail all materials to:
E-mail address: AATSPoffice@aatsp.org
Subject Line: Name of Nominee and the Award applying for
Deadline: Sunday, May 1, 2016 11:59pm Eastern Time. Winners will be notified by late May 2016.