12/31/2017
Deadline: AATSP Conference Attendee Travel Stipends

Please share your memories of Lynn A. Sandstedt
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/31/2014 at 12:41:30 PM GMT
Please share your memories of Lynn A. Sandstedt

Note: you will need to be signed into the AATSP website to share your memory. 

Lynn A. Sandstedt, long-time member, Past President, and previous Executive Director of the AATSP, passed away Thursday, October 30, 2014 at the age of 82. The AATSP would like to express condolences to his family including his beloved wife Phyllis, his two sons, his daughters-in-law, and the grandchildren.

Lynn A. Sandstedt (October 19, 1932) was a native of Colorado and spent most of his life and career in that state. He received his PhD in Spanish Language and Literature from the University of Colorado, Boulder. He taught at the University of Northern Colorado for 22 years where he also served as the Chairman of the Foreign Language Department and the Department of Hispanic Studies. Dr. Sandstedt co-authored several textbooks for use at the university level including the popular intermediate series comprising the textbooks Conversación y repaso, Civilización y cultura, Literatura y arte.

Lynn was very active in the profession and served on committees and boards of numerous organizations and associations. He was elected to the ACTFL Executive Council and later was elected as the 1991 ACTFL President. Lynn served the AATSP in various capacities. He was elected as the 1984 President of the AATSP and several years later was selected as the Executive Director of the Association; he served in that position from 1993-2001. Several years later Lynn stepped in to serve as the Interim Executive Director of the AATSP from June 2004 to August 2005.

Lynn received several prestigious awards for his work in foreign language education. Two of the most recent honors have been the Robert G. Mead, Jr. Award for Distinguished Leadership and Scholarly Contributions to the Profession given by the AATSP and The Cross of Alfonso X given by King Juan Carlos and the Ministry of Education of Spain for outstanding contributions to the teaching of Spanish.

Lynn had a long and illustrious career within the field of foreign language education and Hispanic studies but always took the time to help others with their own careers. He served as mentor to many pre-service teachers and in-service faculty members and guided many individuals as they served on organization boards and committees. He will be greatly missed by his family, friends, and colleagues.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR MEMORIES OF LYNN A. SANDSTEDT IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW.

Last edited Friday, October 31, 2014
10/31/2014 at 2:22:42 PM GMT
I wish to express my very deep condolences on Lynn's passing. He was one of the most professional, selfless, and dedicated individuals to our profession that I have had the privilege to have known, worked with and called a friend. When I was elected Vice-President and then President of AATSP, he literally took me by the hand and supprted my in every way throughout my tenure. I will sorely miss his warm, marvelous personality; mostly his dry wit. I will hold Lynn and his entire family in my prayers as they go through this difficult time.

All the very best,

Salvatore Poeta

10/31/2014 at 4:37:21 PM GMT
Tanto Cyndi como yo sentimos profundamente el fallecimiento de Lynn y mandamos nuestro más sentido pésame a Phyllis e hijos. Lynn fue más que un colega y compañero en la AATSP; fue un amigo. Un amigo con el que durante años compartí deseos, iniciativas e ideas para impulsar la asociación que me consta que él hizo continuamente desde el momento en que tuve el honor de conocerlo. Todavía tengo muy vivo el momento en que dirigió el congreso anual en Madrid cuando se le impuso la Encomienda de Alfonso X en la sede del Ministerio de Educación en la calle Alcalá. Sé que le hizo una gran ilusión y constituyó el reconocimiento de España de toda su dedicación a la enseñanza de su idioma, cultura y literatura. En momentos difíciles para la AATSP no tuvo reparo alguno en dedicar todo su tiempo y trabajo a encontrar soluciones que más tarde tuvieron el éxito que buscaba. Se le podía siempre consultar en la seguridad de recibir su mejor consejo y ayuda. Por su estudio, publicaciones y docencia de todo lo español el hispanismo en Estados Unidos ha perdido un insigne colega y la AATSP uno de sus miembros más dedicados al desarrollo de sus fines y propósitos. Que descanse en paz.

Enrique Ruiz-Fornells

11/1/2014 at 6:55:30 PM GMT
I wish to express my deep sadness at the passing of our dear past president and former executive director. I had the honor of working with him when I was elected as college/university representative to the EC. He was a great man who truly cared about our profession. He took the time to mentor all of us with great wisdom and kindness. He will be greatly missed as a great man and outstanding colleague.

My prayers and sympathy to Phyllis and family.

Respectfully,

Liliana Soto-Fernández

11/3/2014 at 9:26:43 PM GMT
I am so sorry to have had the unwelcome word of Lynn Sandstedt’s passing. As a long-time member of the AATSP, I can recall Lynn’s attending his first Council meeting, the beginning of what was to be his extraordinary service to the Association. My sense of him in the offices he held was that he identified naturally, easily, with teachers of every level — all in keeping with the AATSP’s mission and motto. Remembering his warmth, kindness and generosity, I send Phyllis and family my sincerest condolences for their loss. — Irving P. Rothberg

11/4/2014 at 9:57:10 PM GMT
I too am deeply saddened to hear of Lynn's passing and will always recall both his personal and professional contributions to the profession. He was a giant in the field of world language education and always a most diplomatic statesman. I will miss him dearly and extend my deepest condolences to his wife Phyllis and the entire family. May the fond memories that we all hold of our friend and colleague, Lynn, but of comfort to us during this time of great loss in our personal and professional lives.

In sympathy, Duarte M. Silva

11/5/2014 at 11:48:27 PM GMT

¿Quién no se acuerda de Lynn Sandstedt sin recordarlo con verdadero afecto y la más alta estima? Lynn marcó toda una época en el mundo profesional de los que enseñan lenguas extranjeras  y en lo personal influyó mucho en mi desarrollo como profesora y socia de la AATSP. El genio de Lynn fue su colaboración generosa  a servicio de todos combinada con una entrega energética a los fines de muchas organizaciones: AATSP, ACTFL, JNCL-NCLIS y por supuesto las asociaciones regionales y estatales. Fue uno de los fundadores de SWCOLT.

Nació en Colorado pero pertenece a todo el mundo hispano.

Descanse en paz, admirado colega.

Mi más sentido pésame para Phyllis y su familia,

Anne Fountain

11/7/2014 at 1:32:58 PM GMT
The ultimate professional, the calm, savvy negotiator when disagreements occurred, the ever smiling cordial gentleman, the people person extraordinaire, , the leader in times of crisis, the quiet strong man behind the scene , the good friend to so many, the smiling, funny guy we all loved to be with. That was Lynn Sandstedt. He is missed and will be remembered by all who knew him all these many years.

Helene Zimmer-Loew

11/7/2014 at 5:51:13 PM GMT
We have lost a great leader of the profession and I send my most sincere sympathy to Lynn’s family and to all of us whose lives were touched by his. Lynn was always working diligently for foreign languages behind the scenes and was able to achieve great things for both the AATSP and ACTFL. I had the privilege of working with him on the AATSP Executive Council and on a number of other committees and he was a rock of strength through the bad times and a source of inspiration and celebration in the good. His calm demeanor along with a very subtle sense of humor made working with him both an honor and a privilege. As a teacher, one of my favorite books was the Conversación y repaso, Civilización y cultura, Literatura y arte series. It was such a pleasure to teach interesting stories along with the art, culture, and grammar. When I used his textbook my classes were never dull! Always a gentleman, a brilliant scholar and a friend, Lynn will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

Mary-Anne Vetterling

11/9/2014 at 4:22:42 AM GMT
As I send my condolences to the Sandstedt family, I reflect upon the impact that Lynn had on his friends, colleagues, the language teaching profession, and specifically the AATSP. Lynn brought leadership, knowledge, and expertise to all of his professional endeavors and was highly respected. He was a visionary, committed to the profession and to the AATSP - qualities for which he will be eternally remembered. This gentle man and gentleman has always been a valued colleague and personal friend, and I, as many others, am saddened by his passing.
May he rest in peace.
With sympathy, Marilynn Pavlik

Sign In
Sign In securely
Latest News