THIRTEENTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
XIII Simposio Internacional de Comunicacion Social del 21 al 25 de enero del 2013
CENTRE FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS, SANTIAGO DE CUBA, JANUARY 21-25, 2013
* OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, French and Portuguese
* Co-Sponsored by the LEAD "NetRoots" Organization
For more information: Dr. Leonel Ruiz Miyares, President Organizing Committee
email: firstname.lastname@example.org website: http://www.linguistica.santiago.cu/inicio
Centre for Applied Linguistics of the Santiago de Cuba's branch of the
Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, is pleased to
announce the Thirteenth International Symposium on Social Communication.
The event will be held in Santiago de Cuba, January 21 through the 25,
2013. This interdisciplinary event will focus on social communication
processes from the points of view of Linguistics, Computational
Linguistics, Medicine, Mass Media, and Art, Ethnology and Folklore.
Centro de Linguistica Aplicada (CLA) del Ministerio de Ciencia,
Tecnologia y Medio Ambiente de Santiago de Cuba convoca al XIII Simposio
Internacional de Comunicacion Social que se celebrara en esta ciudad de
Santiago de Cuba del 21 al 25 de enero del 2013. En este evento de
caracter interdisciplinario se propiciara el analisis cientifico y la
discusion de trabajos en varias disciplinas como la Linguistica,
Linguistica Computacional, Medicina, asi como en temas referidos a los
Medios Masivos de Comunicacion y Arte, Etnologia y Folclor relacionados
con la Comunicacion Social.2.
Computational Linguistics: - Software related to linguistics research -
Automated grammatical tagging of texts - Electronic dictionaries
The Symposium will be also sponsored by:
. University of Oriente, Santiago de Cuba,Cuba
. Pedagogical University "Frank Pais Garcia",Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz",Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. Provincial Branch of Writers and Artists,Association of Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. Provincial Branch of Translators of Santiagode Cuba, Cuba
. University of Twente,Enschede, The Netherlands
. Basque Country University, Spain
. Semantic Technology Institute (STI),Innsbruck, Austria
. Centre of Lexicography,Aarhus University, Denmark
. University of Wurzburg,Wurzburg, Germany
. Centre Tesniere,Universite de Franche-Comte,Besancon, France
. Latino Education and Advocacy Days Organization,California State UniversitySan Bernardino, USA
. Faculty of Lettres, Languages and Arts,University of Oran
Authors will be allowed to present only one paper pertaining to the following disciplines:
1. Linguistics: - Applied Linguistics - Phonetics and Phonology - Lexicology and Lexicography - Quantitative Linguistics
- Morphology and Syntax - Anthropology Linguistics or Ethnolinguistics - Textual Linguistics and Pragmalinguistics
- Sociolinguistics - Spanish and foreign language teaching - Spanish as a second language - Terminology - Translations
- Linguistics Rights - Linguistics Policy
- Software related to the teaching of mother tongues and foreign languages - Related issues
Medical specialties related to speech and voice and with Social
Communication in general: - Logopedy and Phoniatry - Neurology
- Otorhinolaryngology - Stomatology
Mass Media:- Linguistics research related to the speech of
journalists, actors and radio and television announcers - Textual
Analysis of radio and
television programs, and of print and electronic media articles
Art, Ethnology and Folklore: - Research related to Social
Communication Activities that will take place within the event are: -
- Discussion of papers in commissions - Keynote speeches - Books presentation - Cultural activities
Symposium will be preceded by two seminars that will be taught by
prestigious specialists. The seminars will take place Monday, January
The courses will be given by: Profa. Dra. Esther Forgas,
University Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain; IXA Group, Basque Country
University, Basque Country, Spain. Participants should say in advance
what pre-symposium seminars they want to take part in. An additional fee
of 25.00 Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) will be charged for each
seminar. Participation certificates will be available.
During the symposium several keynote speeches will be delivered. Until now are confirmed:
Prof. Dr. Kathleen Wermke, Wurzburg University, Wurzburg, Germany
Prof. Dr. Anton Nijholt, Twente University, Enschede, The Netherlands
Prof. Dr. Sylviane Cardey, Centre Tesniere, Universite de Franche-Comte, Besancon, France
deadline of submission of papers is July 1st, 2012. The papers should
not exceed 5 pages. Notification of acceptance of a paper by the
Symposium's Scientific Committee will be sent before July 31st, 2012.
enable the Organizing Committee to include the Proceedings as part of
the Symposium's documentation -as we did in the 5th ('97), 6th ('99),
7th ('01), 8th ('03), 9th ('05), 10th ('07), 11th ('09) and 12th
('11) Symposiums-, accepted papers must be sent before August 31, 2012
if the Scientific Committee had done some observations.
Requirements for papers:
1. The paper will not exceed 5 pages including graphics, footnotes and bibliography.
It should be written using Word 6.0 or Word 7.0 for Windows and sent to
the Symposium's Executive Secretary via e-mail as attached file.
3. Each page must be written in an A4 format with left, right, top, and bottom margin of 2.5 cm.
4. The paper must be written in one of the event's official languages: Spanish, English, French or Portuguese.
5. The pages of the text should be unnumbered.
Instructions for paper submission:
Write down the authors' names, one under the other, at the left top of
the first page, all in Arial bold capital letters, 9 points (Word 6.0 or
7.0). Under the author's name(s) should appear in bold (only initials
capital letters) the institution, city, country and e-mail address.
2. In a separate line, at the center, the title of the paper must be written in Arial bold, italics, 10 points size letters.
3. The text will follow -not in bold- with the same Arial letter, 9 points size and leaving one space between lines.
4. Paragraphs will have no indentation. Spaces between paragraphs will be of 1.5 points.
Section titles will be written in Arial bold, 9 points size and
sub-sections titles will be written in Arial Italic, 8 points size.
6. Footnotes will appear at the end of each page in Arial 8 points size letters.
Speakers and Delegates 200.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos); Companions 100.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos)
of the fee must be sent via bank transfer to the bank account to be
announce opportunely and it covers a copy of the Proceedings where your
paper is printed, all other documentation related to the event,
speaker's certificate, welcome cocktail and other cultural activities.
Companions will have access to all of the above, except copies of the
Organizing Committee guarantees accommodation in 3, 4, and 5 star hotels
with preferential prices for participants in the event.
- Papers submission deadline:July 1st, 2012
- Notification on paper'sapproval by Scientific Committee:by July 31, 2012
- Delivery of papers by e-mail:August 31, 2012 (in case of the observations done by the Scientific Committee)
- Pre-Symposium seminars:January 21, 2013
-*OTHER ASPECTS OF INTEREST
de Cuba, located at some 900 km from Havana, is Cuba's second largest
city. Its economic, cultural and social importance in Cuban history is
unquestionable. Santiago is also the capital of the province with the
same name. Surrounded by the green mountains of the Sierra Maestra range
Caribbean Sea, Santiago is unique in its geography and
beautiful landscape. Its surroundings make the city one of the most
important tourist attractions on the entire island. The Organizing
Committee, in coordination with the city's tourist agencies will offer
visiting delegates a host of options allowing participants to enjoy the
city's beauty and charm.