Curriculum Design LEARN
Date: Monday, August 8th through Wednesday, August 10th
George Mason University
Click here to visit the workshop website
Theme: Curriculum Design: Putting Design Back in Curriculum Design
The Foreign Language Program Office (FLPO) of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI), the National Cryptologic School (NCS), the CIA Learning Enterprise/Intelligence Language Division, the Foreign Service Institute, and the Defense Language and National Security Education Office are pleased to announce the Curriculum Design (LEARN) workshop which will be held on Monday, August 8th - Wednesday, August 10th, at George Mason University, Fairfax, VA. The goal of this LEARN workshop is to provide practical and tangible tools that can be used in the language teaching environment along with conceptual idea that stretch beyond best practices being used today. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Curriculum Design Questions
- Design Thinking
- Design Thinking and Curriculum Design
- Increasing Learning Efficiency
- Workshops on using Design Thinking to Create Curricular Models
- Curriculum Design for Arabic
- Curriculum Design for Mandarin Chinese
- Curriculum Design for English as a Second Language
- Curriculum Design for Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs)
- Curriculum Design and Copyright Issues
- Comparing traditional and state of the art approaches - "Is there still a role for textbooks?"
Questions about curriculum design are as welcome as are current models and conceptual ideas for future curriculum design approaches. Other perspectives are also welcome including those from native and non-native language backgrounds, those representing agency-specific issues, and those with a background in different sectors such as academic, governmental, private-for-profit, and private-non-profit.
We are looking forward to hearing from and meeting with a broad range of language professionals of all languages including translators, interpreters, instructors, course developers, testing experts, curriculum developers, and language program managers on a wide range of topics related to the theme "Curriculum Design." The Curriculum Design LEARN Workshop is open to language professionals of all languages from any USG-affiliated institution. No vendors will be allowed to participate.