THIRTEENTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
XIII Simposio Internacional de Comunicacion Social del 21 al 25 de enero del 2013
CENTRE FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS, SANTIAGO DE CUBA, JANUARY 21-25, 2013
* OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, French and Portuguese
* Co-Sponsored by the LEAD "NetRoots" Organization
For more information: Dr. Leonel Ruiz Miyares, President Organizing Committee
email: email@example.com website: http://www.linguistica.santiago.cu/inicio
The Centre for Applied Linguistics of the Santiago de Cuba's branch of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, is pleased to announce the Thirteenth International Symposium on Social Communication. The event will be held in Santiago de Cuba, January 21 through the 25, 2013. This interdisciplinary event will focus on social communication processes from the points of view of Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Medicine, Mass Media, and Art, Ethnology and Folklore.
El Centro de Linguistica Aplicada (CLA) del Ministerio de Ciencia, Tecnologia y Medio Ambiente de Santiago de Cuba convoca al XIII Simposio Internacional de Comunicacion Social que se celebrara en esta ciudad de Santiago de Cuba del 21 al 25 de enero del 2013. En este evento de caracter interdisciplinario se propiciara el analisis cientifico y la discusion de trabajos en varias disciplinas como la Linguistica, Linguistica Computacional, Medicina, asi como en temas referidos a los Medios Masivos de Comunicacion y Arte, Etnologia y Folclor relacionados con la Comunicacion Social.2. Computational Linguistics: - Software related to linguistics research - Automated grammatical tagging of texts - Electronic dictionaries
The Symposium will be also sponsored by:
. University of Oriente, Santiago de Cuba,Cuba
. Pedagogical University "Frank Pais Garcia",Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz",Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. Provincial Branch of Writers and Artists,Association of Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
. Provincial Branch of Translators of Santiagode Cuba, Cuba
. University of Twente,Enschede, The Netherlands
. Basque Country University, Spain
. Semantic Technology Institute (STI),Innsbruck, Austria
. Centre of Lexicography,Aarhus University, Denmark
. University of Wurzburg,Wurzburg, Germany
. Centre Tesniere,Universite de Franche-Comte,Besancon, France
. Latino Education and Advocacy Days Organization,California State UniversitySan Bernardino, USA
. Faculty of Lettres, Languages and Arts,University of Oran
Authors will be allowed to present only one paper pertaining to the following disciplines:
1. Linguistics: - Applied Linguistics - Phonetics and Phonology - Lexicology and Lexicography - Quantitative Linguistics
- Morphology and Syntax - Anthropology Linguistics or Ethnolinguistics - Textual Linguistics and Pragmalinguistics
- Sociolinguistics - Spanish and foreign language teaching - Spanish as a second language - Terminology - Translations
- Linguistics Rights - Linguistics Policy
- Software related to the teaching of mother tongues and foreign languages - Related issues
3. Medical specialties related to speech and voice and with Social Communication in general: - Logopedy and Phoniatry - Neurology
- Otorhinolaryngology - Stomatology
4. Mass Media:- Linguistics research related to the speech of journalists, actors and radio and television announcers - Textual Analysis of radio and
television programs, and of print and electronic media articles
5. Art, Ethnology and Folklore: - Research related to Social Communication Activities that will take place within the event are: - Pre-Symposium seminars
- Discussion of papers in commissions - Keynote speeches - Books presentation - Cultural activities
The Symposium will be preceded by two seminars that will be taught by prestigious specialists. The seminars will take place Monday, January 21st, 2013.
The courses will be given by: Profa. Dra. Esther Forgas, University Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain; IXA Group, Basque Country University, Basque Country, Spain. Participants should say in advance what pre-symposium seminars they want to take part in. An additional fee of 25.00 Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) will be charged for each seminar. Participation certificates will be available.
During the symposium several keynote speeches will be delivered. Until now are confirmed:
Prof. Dr. Kathleen Wermke, Wurzburg University, Wurzburg, Germany
Prof. Dr. Anton Nijholt, Twente University, Enschede, The Netherlands
Prof. Dr. Sylviane Cardey, Centre Tesniere, Universite de Franche-Comte, Besancon, France
The deadline of submission of papers is July 1st, 2012. The papers should not exceed 5 pages. Notification of acceptance of a paper by the Symposium's Scientific Committee will be sent before July 31st, 2012.
To enable the Organizing Committee to include the Proceedings as part of the Symposium's documentation -as we did in the 5th ('97), 6th ('99), 7th ('01), 8th ('03), 9th ('05), 10th ('07), 11th ('09) and 12th ('11) Symposiums-, accepted papers must be sent before August 31, 2012 if the Scientific Committee had done some observations.
Requirements for papers:
1. The paper will not exceed 5 pages including graphics, footnotes and bibliography.
2. It should be written using Word 6.0 or Word 7.0 for Windows and sent to the Symposium's Executive Secretary via e-mail as attached file.
3. Each page must be written in an A4 format with left, right, top, and bottom margin of 2.5 cm.
4. The paper must be written in one of the event's official languages: Spanish, English, French or Portuguese.
5. The pages of the text should be unnumbered.
Instructions for paper submission:
1. Write down the authors' names, one under the other, at the left top of the first page, all in Arial bold capital letters, 9 points (Word 6.0 or 7.0). Under the author's name(s) should appear in bold (only initials capital letters) the institution, city, country and e-mail address.
2. In a separate line, at the center, the title of the paper must be written in Arial bold, italics, 10 points size letters.
3. The text will follow -not in bold- with the same Arial letter, 9 points size and leaving one space between lines.
4. Paragraphs will have no indentation. Spaces between paragraphs will be of 1.5 points.
5. Section titles will be written in Arial bold, 9 points size and sub-sections titles will be written in Arial Italic, 8 points size.
6. Footnotes will appear at the end of each page in Arial 8 points size letters.
Speakers and Delegates 200.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos); Companions 100.00 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos)
Payment of the fee must be sent via bank transfer to the bank account to be announce opportunely and it covers a copy of the Proceedings where your paper is printed, all other documentation related to the event, speaker's certificate, welcome cocktail and other cultural activities. Companions will have access to all of the above, except copies of the Proceedings.
The Organizing Committee guarantees accommodation in 3, 4, and 5 star hotels with preferential prices for participants in the event.
- Papers submission deadline:July 1st, 2012
- Notification on paper'sapproval by Scientific Committee:by July 31, 2012
- Delivery of papers by e-mail:August 31, 2012 (in case of the observations done by the Scientific Committee)
- Pre-Symposium seminars:January 21, 2013
-*OTHER ASPECTS OF INTEREST
Santiago de Cuba, located at some 900 km from Havana, is Cuba's second largest city. Its economic, cultural and social importance in Cuban history is unquestionable. Santiago is also the capital of the province with the same name. Surrounded by the green mountains of the Sierra Maestra range and the
Caribbean Sea, Santiago is unique in its geography and beautiful landscape. Its surroundings make the city one of the most important tourist attractions on the entire island. The Organizing Committee, in coordination with the city's tourist agencies will offer visiting delegates a host of options allowing participants to enjoy the city's beauty and charm.