Hispania, the official journal of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP), invites the submission of original, unpublished manuscripts on applied linguistics, cultural studies, culture, film, language, linguistics, literary criticism, literature, and pedagogy having to do with Spanish and Portuguese. Hispania publishes scholarly articles and reviews that are judged to be of interest to specialists in the discipline(s) as well as to a diverse readership of teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
All manuscripts submitted for publication should display thorough and comprehensive knowledge of the subject and field. Further considerations in the evaluation of manuscripts include:
- Contribution to the advancement of knowledge
- Originality of method or focus
- Organization of argument
- Clarity of expression
Articles may refer to but not repeat previously published content. Articles and reviews may be in Spanish, Portuguese, or English. Hispania is published quarterly (March, June, September, and December) and is a member of the Council of Editors of Learned Journals.
Hispania uses ScholarOne, an electronic manuscript submission and review system. Please click below to submit article manuscripts and invited book/media reviews.
New users must first create a ScholarOne account by clicking on “Register here” under the “New User?” heading to the right of log-in screen.
Hispania’s submission guidelines can be accessed on that same page by clicking on “Instructions & Forms” under “Resources” at the top-right corner of the screen. For your convenience, they are also provided below:
Frequently Asked Questions about Submitting to and Reviewing for Hispania
Peer Reviewer Guidelines
File Formatting Guidelines
How to Create Figures and Tables for Hispania
Contract for Publication in Hispania
Request for Permissions of Secondary Materials
Submission Checklist for Authors
Keywords for ScholarOne Submissions
Hispania Policy Statements
- If you are interested in reviewing books and/or media, please contact Book/Media Review Editor Domnita Dumitrescu: email@example.com.
- Hispania will not accept unsolicited reviews and does not publish reviews of works more than two years old. If you have a specific title in mind, please consult with the editor.
- We especially encourage offers to review film and other media resources. Members of the AATSP who wish to be considered as reviewers of book/media reviews should upload their information at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hispan and send their CV to the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Publishers and authors should submit their materials for possible selection to Domnita Dumitrescu, Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, California State University, Los Angeles, 5151 State University Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90032. Because of the number of works that correspond to Hispania’s broad scope, not all requests to review specific items can be granted.
- Submitted materials will not be returned to publishers or authors, even if they are not selected for review.
- An invitation to review does not guarantee publication.
- All reviews must pass through a double-anonymous review process and publication decisions are based upon reviewer comments and the discretion of the editors.