NATIONAL PORTUGUESE EXAMINATION
The National Portuguese Examination (NPE) is an online test that engages the students in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. It is intended for high school students of Portuguese.
The NPE is intended as a motivational, extra-curricular activity and contest for students of members of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and its chapters. The NPE is not designed for any other purpose and should not be used for assessment, placement, or proficiency testing.
- In Spring 2017, the National Portuguese Examinations (Levels 1-4) will once again be administered online.
- The registration link is available at www.aatsp.org In order to register, teachers must log into AATSP website. Once logged in, hover over National Portuguese Exam from the Program and Activities menu.
- The deadline to register your students is January 31, 2017.
For FAQs about the National Portuguese Examination, CLICK HERE.
Registration: November 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017
Test Window: March 1, 2017 – April 10, 2017
Results will be sent to sponsors by late April
For more information:
Test administrators must be members in good standing of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP). Sponsors assume the following responsibilities:
- Teachers may only register students who are currently enrolled in their classes. To ensure that students are enrolled in the registering teacher's class, the NPE Director reserves the right to request that each participating teacher submit an official class list signed by an administrator.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor to certify the eligibility of students:
- Bilingual Category: heritage speakers of Portuguese
- Outside Experience Category: students who are heritage speakers of Spanish
- Teachers who are current AATSP members may register students.
The online NPE is administered in 2 parts, with 40 minutes allowed for each section:
- Achievement: vocabulary and grammar
- Proficiency: reading and oral comprehension
The teachers will be able to print NPE certificates of all students according to their placement on the national percentile (this score indicates the performance of a student in relation to the performance of other students nationwide, by level and category). Gold, silver, bronze, honorary and participation are the categories of certificates awarded.
Local chapters may choose to provide additional prizes for the participants.
National Portuguese Exam Director